• Author:YCA
  • Comments:1

Food Safety (Hygiene) Level 2 Certificate

Regarding MIN 479 (M)

Please note that its important you check your Food Safety (Hygiene) Certificate to see that the qualification number is one as recognised by MCA.

The list of recognised qualifications can be seen in the table at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/327773/MIN_479_Recgonised_qualifications.pdf

If your current certificate doesn’t have a qualification number that appears on this list then chances are it wont be accepted by MCA. 

Any doubts we would recommend you email MCA with copy of your certificate or telephone them and ask them to clarify situation relating to yours.

Tel : +44 (0) 23 8032 9328.
Fax : +44 (0) 23 8032 9251.
e-mail: mlc@mcga.gov.uk.
General Inquiries: infoline@mcga.gov.uk



thanks to chef Anton Park for this update on the Level 2 Cert….
Here is an example of one of the health and hygiene certificates which are accepted in order to to be assessed for the ships cooks certificate. see https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/p480x480/1782555_10152303724256008_4652194271351605575_o.jpg

Please note that Virtual collage certificates are no longer accepted.

However! The good news is that if you are in the UK you can simple call up your local environmental health department and ask if you can do a “refresher” which simply means you can sit the exam without having to do the full course. It cost me £48.00 and it took all of 9 minutes to complete.

They also provided course literature to read which gives you all the info needed for the exam. If you have never done a health and hygiene course then I recommend you do the full course which is normally 3 days and costs the same £48.00 but that is in the UK. I don’t know about another country but I am sure if you call up you should be able to do the “refresher course” as I did.

Here is a link to the accepted health and hygiene certs, check your cert numbers and compare to this list to see if yours is there. You will see that mine is there HABC Level 2 award in Food Safety in Catering (QCF) Certificate number (at the bottom) 500/5485/5


Please note, you must have this cert or one that is on the above list in order to be assessed for the Ships Cooks Cert.